Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interactive Table, Storing Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepheligenous

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
Hi everyone,
I'm a maintenance technician and I have to keep track of hundreds of parts for the machines I work on. I have 4 cabinets that can hold around 125 plastic bins in which the parts are stored. I created a table in HTML using overLib (available at so that when you float the mouse pointer over each cell of the table (each cell being representitive of a storage bin), a popup appears that shows the part number and part description.
What I would like to do next is make it interactive, so if I click in the cell a sort of form could appear and I can either decrease the number or increase that number according to whether I remove parts or replenish parts.
Can I do this with Javascipt? If not, then which language (that can be embedded in HTML) can I use?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Vic

Your best bet is to do this with server-side scripting. That will allow you to write from a data file (database or just plain text file) and read from it to populate the table when you view the page.

Lee

technically yes you *could* do it in javascript, but then you need some way to persist your data lest it reset every time you close the browser.

an IE-only solution could be to use an xml or flat file for data storage, and vbscript to write to it.

another way would be to use a server-side solution: a database like mysql (free) or other, and a server-side language like php (free) or other.

-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); } finally { rtfm(); }
i like your sleeves...they're real big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back