Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interactive Form Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniajon

Technical User
Aug 31, 2005
US
I'm trying to make a template for an Invoices and I want to place form fields in the document to indicate to the user where the information needs to be and what information needs to be there. I would like this to function like the form fields in Word (the little gray boxes that you click on then type the correct information). Is this possible in Excel, or do I have to just type sample text into a cell and have the user delete and replace with the correct text?

Hi Juniajon,

One option would be to use the Tools - Protection - Protect Sheet option.

Highlight the whole sheet and click into 'Format cells', go to the 'Protection' tab and make sure that the 'Locked' box is checked. This protects all the cells on the sheet.

The next step is to highlight the specific cells that you want updating, go back into 'Format cells' and uncheck the 'Locked' box. You could also colour these cells so it's really obvious which ones are to be for data entry.

The last step is to go to 'Tools' - 'Protection' - 'Protect sheet' and click OK. By default the Select locked cells and Select unlocked cells should be ticked; you can also enter a password at this screen if you want.

This has now locked all the cells on the sheet, except the ones you selected, you can move around these by pressing the Tab button.

As a thought, if you know in advance the specific data you want entered in the cells, you could use the 'Data' - 'Validation' option. In the 'Settings' tab choose Allow: List from the drop down box and select the range where you've entered the specific data as the 'Source'. When you now click in this cell you should get a drop down box with the available options.

I hope this was of use.

Well, I followed your instructions and saved the new template. When I re-opened the template to try it out it will let me enter information into the desired cells, but it will not let me remove the fill color of those cells, it won't let me print, and it won't let me unlock the document. Is this because I saved it as an excel template rather than a spreadsheet? Is there anyway to fix these problems?

... Nevermind. When you change a value in one of the cells all of the functions come back to life.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back