Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intellitype Pro keyboard and mouse problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheech69

MIS
May 14, 2003
US
I have installed the wireless keyboard and mouse on my boss's computer. It works fine if I do a soft boot, immediately after a cold boot, but locks up the system if I try to use the keyboard just after the cold boot.

I see bios gives an f4 (keyboard not detected) message, and when the system comes up the mouse will work, but as soon as I try to use the keyboard the system freeze.

It was during one of the freezes I discovered both devices will work if I use the soft-boot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Motherboard, XP Pro pak 2, latest key and mouse drivers.

Thanks,

- Vaughn

I would also check for a BIOS update as the first thing to examine.

Check also your BIOS settings to make certain that you have enable support for legacy USB devices.

The m/b is at the latest bios, but I cannot find a driver on the Intellitype 5.2 (or 5.0) offerings, which appears to be developed specifically for this "Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard" Model # 1011. There are several options for USB and Bluetooth, but this is a PS/2 connection.

The kit also came with an optical mouse, which seems to always work fine, even on the cold boot. Again, all appears fine with the mouse from a cold boot, until I touch the keyboard, then it's a total lockup requiring a soft boot, then all works well.

The mouse driver is listed as a standard 101/102 ps/2 device, but this keyboard has the wheel scroll function, the ability to program several internet sites, and a lot of other capabilities. I would expect the keyboard driver definition should be something more elaborate than "standard"

Thanks for trying!!!

- Vaughn

bcastner,

Thanks for all your assistance. It turns out, I had the purple PS/2 connector attached for the keyboard, and a USB to PS/2 adapter for the mouse. In this keyboards configuration, both the mouse and keyboard are handled with the single USB adapter.

It was my mistake and I should have read the USB portion of the directions more thoroughly. Especially where it states to leave the ps/2 keyboard adapter "disconnected".

Again, thanks for your trying!

- Vaughn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back