Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intellisense in a runtime application HOW TO DO IT? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesomeheero17

Programmer
Feb 12, 2013
PH
In debugging mode VFP shows possible entries while typing via intellisense, and i saw the table reference of intellinsense of VFP.
my question is how can i make this possible or available in my applications input controls?
my plan would be the intellisense that i will make would suggest the closest possible match on my reference tble and the users input, just like VFP Intellinsense.
Thanks in advance,

ps: Sorry if a thread like this is already exists. cant find match to mine.

You can't use intellisense in form controls. I'm at that same topic right now and had to back off a similar ideay.

Intellisense can be used at runtime, too, but only with the VFP editor used with MODIFY FILE, MODIFY COMMAND or MODIFY MEMO. This is, because the foxcode.app is only trggered by the VFP internal editor, which runs with these commands, and foxcode.app itself makes use of the foxtools.fll and it's functions about the VFP internal editor, and that editor is not what runs when typing within an Editbox or other VFP controls.

The foxcode.app Source code also is available in the XSOURCE, but's it's too far off the track for me to change it's code, to be able to use intellisense in an editbox. Even if you redo that part completely, the triggering of intellisense initially comes from the editor and you can't change or replace that part. There is still a part hard coded somewhere beyond our control, which causes an oFoxCode object to appear as input parameter of intellisense scripts.

There is ISX from christof Wollenhaupt and IntellisenseX at the VFPX project, but both of them also base on the VFP internal editor.

Doug Hennnig has a white paper on Intellisense at runtime and it also bases on this editor.

Bye, Olaf.

im glad as a VFP programmer, knowing that you are still in a research and development for a foxpro applications, in spite of Microsoft Supports is no longer continues. By the way Kudos to us.
thanks for the foxcode and tool info..
since it is not possible for now i am thinking of using the available VFP features and tools .. hmm how bout the using popup menu? what do you think?

and can i have a direct link to your said references?

thanks, Olaf

Well, googling finds all of it:

"Doug Hennig Intellisense"
specifically:

specifically:

XSource, see your VFP installation. It's in HOME()+"Tools\XSource"
specifically
HOME()+"Tools\xsource\VFPSource\foxcode"

And the foxcode.app is in HOME() directly, as specified in _codesense. Why codesense? Because the _foxcode system variable points to the foxcode.dbf you can extend, also with the Intellisense Manager.

Bye, Olaf.

About the popup menu idea: Yes, you could let users press the context menu key and then have items which simply cause a KEYBOARD() call. It wouldn't involve very much programming, but if just editbox would also work, I would already be done with setting _codesense and _foxcode at runtime and making use of all the scripts available already. Another thing, which bugs me is, you cant change Expanded to a larger field or Memo to allow text blocks to be triggered by abbreviations. At some point there is a check, whether the foxcode.dbf has exactly the predefined structure.

What I tried was using the WINDOW clause of MODIFY MEMO, as Doug did with MODIFY COMMAND, you can then specify a window you can position where the editbox is, you can even remove titlebar and border. But as soon as the user clicks somewhere the window is gone. That can be prevented by SAVE, but another problem is this window stays when the underlying form is moved. I tried SetParent() Windows API call, which somewhat works, but it turns out the real editing window is still not becoming a child window of the form.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back