Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intellimouse Optical drivers not found in Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

1001a

Technical User
Jan 18, 2001
GB
I bought an IntelliMouse Optical about a week ago. I got home and plugged it in my USB port and a promising message came up saying that Windows ME has found new hardware (it names it as the IntelliMouse Optical) and is searching for the drivers. Then it sits there. For ages.

I tried it with the PS/2 adaptor, and it works fine (after I installed the CD) but it still doesn't work in the USB port. I even downloaded the latest version of the drivers from the Microsoft site, which said that these are Windows ME compatible. Still no joy.

I realise it isn't necessary to use it as a USB mouse, but I would like it to work!

Two things you need to turn on in your BIOS.
Restart the PC and get into your BIOS, usually the F1 key or the Delete key when it prompts you get you in. Once there go to Peripherals or similar title and look for two things and ENABLE or Turn them ON.
1. Legacy support for USB
2. USB Support

These both need to be turned on even though Win ME really doesn't use Legacy anymore it won't hurt anything. If you can't find these exact things them look for USB and enable those.
Let me know.
Master Frodo
Anything free is worth what you paid for it.

Not sure if this is true of your Intellimouse. But with my Karna Boomslang 2000, I had to install the drivers BEFORE plugging it into the box.

This has actually been true of every USB device I have - so check your manual for more details :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back