Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel vs Xircom question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimLaL

Technical User
Jan 7, 2006
US
I have an Intel(R)PRO100/LAN + modem Cardbus II combo card (type III) that seems troublesome. Have all Xircom cards been discontinued in favor of Intel cards since the buyout?

Are drivers for either available easily for Win98SE or W2K? I'm not certain I have the right driver, given that Port 1 is always listed as missing. Or is that normal when using a type III?

Is there a driver source for discontinued Intel cards? Intel has disowned mine and doesn't offer support of any kind.

Hello JimLal,

No, port 1 should not be missing! Is this under network connections? If so, you might have a driver problem...

support site for your product is on Downloads on (or if i got the wrong one, check the listing on
98(SE) and 2000 are available as you see...
however, if some driver has incorrectly installed before (port 1 missing), you might want to
- unplug the card
- go to device manager and remove all entries...
- go to C:\windows\inf (might be hidden) and remove the following files (if present)
* net8254x.inf and .pnf,
* neti557x.in and pnf
- either fo to windows\inf\oem or check any files in windows\inf\ starting with oem (make sure you open every oem*.inf file to check if it mentions your card - if so delete it, otherwise leave it)

restart you system (twice if win 98 - dont ask me why!)

reinsert the card, you should get asked for drivers. point it to the drivers above, install. (repeat if asked again)

If you still have the same error the card is faulty, in which case you should have a 3 year warranty... if not from point of purchase, you should get it fromt he manufacturer.

Also make sure your firmware is up to date...
Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back