Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel Solaris wont boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhinze

MIS
Jul 14, 1999
US
I have an Intel box running Solaris that will not boot . You can boot from the floppy and then load the Adaptec driver then the system will run . It appears that when you turn the box on it does not recongize the the adaptec card. Until today we never have had aproblem . Since I did not do the original install and this is my only Intel box I am somewhat at a loss. I need some ideas on fixes, wiping the box and reinstalling is not a good option.<br><br>Thanks<br>

Can you boot from the CD-ROM?&nbsp;&nbsp;If you do, can you mount the hard disk partitions?&nbsp;&nbsp;It may be that the Adaptec driver had become corrupted.<br><br>Something else you might want to try, as this is an Intel box, is to get hold of one of the mini Linux-on-a-floppy distributions.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most of these come with a SCSI driver, so you could boot off it and see if the SCSI is recognised.&nbsp;&nbsp;This would show you whether it was a hardware or a software problem. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

Here is some more Info on the problem . Any ideas on a fix would be appriciated . We can get the box up with the setup disk and everything appears ok on the system. .<br><br>Here's what happens:<br><br>Without floppy (doesn't boot):<br>- Power on<br>- Goes through BIOS, no problems<br>- Goes through Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI selector, finds both HDDs and<br>CD-ROM<br>- Get blinking cursor in the top left corner of an otherwise blank<br>screen.<br><br>With floppy (works fine):<br>- Power on<br>- Goes through BIOS, no problems<br>- Goes through Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI selector, finds both HDDs and<br>CD-ROM<br>- Configuration Assistant runs from floppy.<br>- Need to add drivers for the Adaptec controller before going to Scan<br>Devices<br>- Scan Devices with no problems<br>- At Boot Solaris menu, I select the first HDD, and the system comes<br>up fine (multi-user mode).<br><br>Since I have almost no Solaris background, I'm not sure what to do to<br>troubleshoot.<br><br>I would guess that the HDD boot lost the drivers for the Adaptec<br>controller, but I don't know how to check that.<br><br>&gt;From researching the x86 Boot Process, I can say we get past the<br>BIOS.<br>We get past finding the SCSI controller, including the 2 HDDs and<br>CD-ROM drive, and it's not making it to the boot.bin or ufsboot (where<br>you get 5 seconds to interrupt the autoboot).<br>So it looks like a problem with mboot or pboot.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>AFAIK, there is only 1 bootable partition, so I don't think it is a<br>bootblk problem.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back