Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel i3-330M vs Intel i5-430M

Status
Not open for further replies.

fj80alex

Technical User
Apr 20, 2008
US
I am not looking to upgrade intel i3-330M to Intel i5-430M. Intel i3 has bad graphics, laptop screen and screen from an external monitor both are flickering. Will I do any damage to motherboard if I temporary install intel i5-430M until I get i3. The only difference in specs is temperature. Intel i3 has 90 degrees and i5 has 100 degress. See link below.

Thank you,
Alex

I am not looking to upgrade intel i3-330M to Intel i5-430M. I
Why on earth not????? The differences in performance between the i3 and i5 are noticeably better.

i3 is the 'Celeron' of the 7th Gen Intel processor family

i5 is the Dual core Hyperthreading version of the 7th Gen family.

The temperatures you quoted are the MAXIMUM operating temperature the CPU should survive unscathed at. Basically it means you can 'overclock' the i5 range relatively safely. Whereas overclocking an i3 without some substantial cooling improvements will probably prove to be fatal.

Will I do any damage to motherboard if I temporary install intel i5-430M until I get i3
Probably not, provided you don't damage any pins in the socket and the power regulation on the motherboard is otherwise 'healthy'.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Chris,

Also, I ordered a new motherboard. I installed an original i3 processor and have no video and unable to switch to external monitor. installed i5 and the same thing, black screen and unable to switch to external monitor. Installed intel i5 into old motherboard and it was flickering again. I am puzzled. Both, new and old motherboards are defective????????????

Have you checked the cables to the screen?
And the external cable?

Chris.

I read somewhere that i3 and i7 had hyperthreading but i5 didn't

i7 is a real quad core with HT

i5 is dual core with HT (an imitation quad core)

i3 is dual core with HT but limited to how much memory it can handle (among other things). As I said in my first post, ... The 'Celeron' of the family.

Read the Intel ARK spec lists on the various CPUs

Chris.

I installed intel i5 and it worked fine instead of I3. I did it strictly for testing purposes. It's an old laptop and it doesn't really matter, i3 or i5. Thank you!

I don't think Chris's overview of the core i range accurate.

I have a laptop with a core i7 4510u and its a dual core with HT

Their range of processors is extensive and varies alot even through out the same series.

Much of the performance differences in the processors are in the cache sizes.

e.g, latest core i7 comes in several flavours all with 8MB Cache, i5, 6MB Cache, and i3 is 3MB Cache.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

I have a laptop with a core i7 4510u and its a dual core with HT

Which is a 4th generation series i7, not 7th generation i7 which ARE quad core.

Chris.

And those in the laptop in question are first Generation Your point? And 7th generation I7 mobile are a mixture of quad and dual core, the ONLY MOBILE I7 7th gen that are quad are the H designation chips, while the 7Y75 and the U designated ships are DUAL core. The fact is, if you go to Intel's website and look at the ARK, it doesn't matter if you choose mobile or desktop, the listed processors are the same, you need to look at vertical segment to see if it was a desktop or a mobile chip. As for upgrading a laptop to a different chip, If the OEM made a model with a different CPU, typically it is just a drop in upgrade, with maybe a FW or heatsink change depending on CPU you want to upgrade to.

READ what I posted in my FIRST post in this thread!

Chris.

Sure, I read it, you make a reference to the 7th gen. Intel cpus, I have no idea why, the OP doesn't have a 7th gen. He has a 1st gen. Then you go on to say the I3 is the celeron of the 7th gen, no it isn't, the 7th gen of the celeron is. Like the 3965U Celeron. Then you say the I5 is the dual core hyperthreading cpu of the 7th gen., again, this is also not true, as there are I3 and I7 cpu in the 7th gen family that are dual core and hyperthreading. And that the I3 has no HT but some Do. What the I3 and Celeron lack is turbo boost. The other difference has to do with PCIe lanes, the high end I3 has 16, while the lower end of the I5 and I7 have 12 lanes, and the Celeron has 10,I am sure there are other differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back