Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel HAM modem - phone line incompatiblity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaio

Programmer
May 10, 2002
US
To replace my rockwell/riptide combo modem due to phone problems we installed an Intel HAM faxmodem which causes my AOL to hang/lock or connects at a very low speed (12000 bps sometimes) and doesn't get past the "connection speed .." portion of the AOL connection in other words I get kicked off or couldn't establish connection at all with the network - NOTE: this is at my friend's place(he owns the PC) - when he brought the PC to me to check out what's wrong I connected the PC to my phone line and the AOL connected at optimal speed with no sign of delay. I connected several and AOL never had any problems connection. I told him the modem is ok and he took it back to his place and voila still the same problem. We tried the other AOL access numbers but the problem remains. Do modems have limitations or incompatibility with certain types of phonelines, if there is more than one type? I know some modems behave differently if there is voicemail, which causes the line to pause before a dialtone is present. Can you please advise?

It could be that his phone line is either worn or tore this can cause a problem with your connection.This seems to be the problem he is having so either the inside or outside connection is bad.If you friend has insurence on his phone he ay be able to contact his phone company and check it out to see if they can fix it but make sure to call ahead for limitations and pricing.

Hi Jaio, Tell me, are you in UK, because we have this device known as DACS?

regards Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back