Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel from hell chip on winmodem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodeohog

ISP
Nov 21, 2002
US
I purchased three winmodems for backup when I lost my modem. They are cheap winmodems, but I live in a rural area that only gets me 28K dialup connections anyhow. Two of these three had an Intel chip on them and the other had a PCTel chip. The Intel cards will not let windows load up, instead giving the error message "windows protection error" or to that effect. Cannot get into the computer until I remove this modem card. I have tried it in three computers, same results. Both cards act the same way. The PCTel loaded up okay. I only paid $5 for each card which is no big loss, but I am curious. Could it be these are defective chips or is there another explanation. (PS....no more cheap modems, I'm moving up to the $20 bracket ;-)

Using Win98, AMD cpu's, PCI modems, tried moving to different slots, reloaded windows and even reformatted and loaded windows clean, same results. Three different MB also.

rodeohog

Are you putting more than one of them in the computer at a time? If so, you will definitely have problems (although I've never heard of them causing Windows to not load).

WinModems are controlled via a software driver that literally broadcasts on the PCI bus. This is nice, in that you don't have to put a PCI controller chip on the modem card, and that makes them cheap. On the other hand, if you put two of them in a computer, it is impossible to tell them apart, so only 1 has any chance of working, and it still may not.

pansophic

Greetings,

Could you be more specific about the "Intel chip" Winmodems? What make are they? - in other words, what chipset? (THAT is the key!).

Also, what is the make/model of your system and OS?

Here are some websites to check:

Modem Troubleshooting:

There are a number of articles on the above site for you to read (see the Chipset links and the Winmodems link bottom left-side and the "If the modem doesn't work at all" links at top right, to name a few).

This link is for a W98SE which hangs during boot with a PC-Tel Winmodem:

I know you said it's the "Intel chip" ones causing problems, but the troubleshooting steps are the same/similar.

Kindest regards,

James

Sorry for not being more specific. There is an INTEL sticker on top of the chip covering the more detailed info. I just peeled off the sticker and it reads as follows:

Ambient
MD3288 A
FF643-000 0220
Taiwan

So it is actually an Ambient chip under an Intel blanket. Only putting in one modem at a time, but both modems did the same "lockdown" to any of the computers I put them in. I am using Win 98 on all three computers, and each has a different motherboard in it (Mine is an ASUS A7V333 with AMD 1900, the others are a Gateway with an amd 400 I think, and the last one is a Tyan S1590 100 with AMD 400). All are using Win98.

Sticker on back of modem reads:

ENF656-GSW-INPR

Thanks for the links and help. I will check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back