Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel Core i7 (mobile) CPU that had major issues... which was it? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I remember hearing about one Core i7 CPU or series of CPUs that had some major issues - trying to remember when - I'm thinking a year or year and a half ago.

Does anyone remember which CPU or series of CPUs it was? I'm looking at picking up a used laptop in the next few months if possible, and want to avoid this specific problem.

Sorry I'm being a little vague, but my memory is pretty vague on it. I can't remember if it was Sandy Bridge or pre-Sandy Bridge..

[spineyes]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I remember something with the Sandy Bridge, this from the Sandy Bridge wiki:

"On January 31, 2011, Intel issued a recall on all 67-series motherboards due to a flaw in the Cougar Point Chipset.[17] A hardware issue, in which the chipset's SATA-II ports may fail over time, cause failure of connection to SATA-II devices, though data is not at risk.[18] Intel claims that this problem will only affect 5% of users over 3 years, however, heavier I/O workloads can exacerbate the problem.

Intel stopped production of flawed B2 stepping chipsets and began producing B3 stepping chipsets with the silicon fix. Shipping of these new chipsets started on 14 February 2011 and Intel estimated full recovery volume in April 2011.[19] Motherboard manufacturers (such as ASUS and Gigabyte Technology) and computer manufacturers (such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard) stopped selling products that involved the flawed chipset and offered support for affected customers. Options ranged from swapping for B3 motherboards to product refunds.[20][21]

Sandy Bridge processor sales were temporarily on hold, as one cannot use the CPU without a motherboard. However, processor release dates were not affected.[22] After two weeks, Intel continued shipping some chipsets, but manufacturers had to agree to a set of terms that will prevent customers from encountering the bug.
"

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Thanks! Do you have a link to the wiki where you found it? I'm assuming it's on Intel.com, or are you referring to a wikipedia article?

Regardless, that covers what I need, I believe. That was indeed the issue I was thinking of.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Just the wiki page:
Just did a Googly search for Sandy Bridge issue and it was the top of the list. It does have some good info on there, definitely worth a look.

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back