Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

intel 1000mt and marvell yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowbot

MIS
Jan 17, 2008
US
I have a custom made server that has a dual headed NIC. It lists the cards as:

Intel Pro 1000MT and a generic Marvell Yukon.

Im not exactly sure what is going on here. From the looks of this server it should just have a dual-headed Pro 1000MT but its using a Marvell Yukon and the 1000MT.

Im guessing the Yukon is some kind of virtualized interface for the 1000MT. So far searching intel's site hasnt proven that. Its a production server so I cant mess with it, but we're going to have some downtime soon and I would like to enable teaming on it so if a switch fails we still have a working interface. Should I be worried about teaming the intel with the marvell? Thanks.

Marvell are actually a manufacturer of NIC's that are normally embedded on a mother board.

Are you sure that you don't actually have 3 nic ports?

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I was able to get the motherboard model number off this (didnt know it had the intel server manager installed). Turns out its an intel board with one 1000mt chip and another marvell chip. Weird. According to intel I should be able to team these. I guess its a cheaper solution than buying a proper dual headed server card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back