Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integration with Dell OpenManage Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

msellors

MIS
Jul 24, 2000
US
I'm having a problem with some SMS 2.0 sp2 clients (NT4 SP6a mainly Dell Optiplexes) with Dell WMI Instrumentation installed. On occassion (on some PCs at every boot) after pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del the PC hangs for a couple of minutes and then shows only the username and password fields. You can then logon locally. However, the explorer shell does not start and you have to start it manually. When you then have a desktop up the service database is locked (most services do not seem to have fully completed startup). This situation is fixed by uninstalling the instrumentation and disabling the DMI service. However, this isn't a perfect scenario as I've promised my boss I can produce reports with tag numbers. Is there some prerequisite to installing the instrumentation I don't know about? I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Mark [sig][/sig]

This is quite a large issue that plagued my company for months. Everyone blamed SMS, but it turned out not to be so.
Do you have Client Access installed?
There is a registry Key - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cwbnetnt\NetworkProvider
The key is "Provider Path" and points to a dll.
Deleting this key has solved the problem, but has disabled browsing our AS/400's from Network Neighborhood. We never used Network Neighborhood to connect to the 400's, so this was not a problem.

Hope this helps!
>:):O> [sig]<a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back