Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integration services importing flat file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2001
US
I need to import a flat file into a SQL 2005 database table. The text file has fixed lengths so I defined all these lengths and thought I was good to go. When I previewed it, I noticed the file has carriage return lines so it was messing all the formatting up. My question is how to get around this? I tried just added 2 characters to the last field but it did not work and I really just want to ignore the line feed characters. I can get the 2000 version of DTS to work but we are moving everything over to SQL 2005 and need to do it through SSIS integration. Please help.

When you define the connection to the text file one of the options should be the line ending character. Select the correct LF, CR, LFCR option.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I tried all of those options and it still did not make a difference. I should be able just to switch that option instead of having to reconnect to the file and reestablish that it is a LF correct?

Correct, you should just be able to change the option.

Is the file created by a unix system? You may need to find a copy of unix2dos.exe and have it conver the file before importing it.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back