Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrating different PHP aplications

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucasnevant

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2003
ES
Hi,

First of all let me tell you that I don't have a very strong programming background.

I am integrating one PHP portal for software development collaboration with other PHP applications. I would like to integrate the other applications into the portal, and the users to sign in only once.

I wonder if the following approaches make sense.

1st approach

- Make the project IDs and usernames the same in all applications
- Put links in the portal to the other applications passing them somehow the user and project names.

2nd approach

- Create a separate module to handle autentications.

Has anybody faced a similar problem? I have found some posts similar to mine in the forum, but I still have this problem...

Lucas

For a large site/community I would recommend a single sign-on process, so I personally would favor the separate authentication module which could be integrated in all applications you want to integrate.
There should be some security items on the project list as the credentials should not only be username/password bound but also IP specific as to reasonably prevent session hijacking or session fixation.

IMO this would ideally not be done in PHP but as a module of the web server, such as an mod_auth_myauth for Apache, but that would exceed the topic of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back