Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

integrating barcode scanning with remedy asset tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

widereceiver

Technical User
Nov 21, 2006
US
Is it possible? If so, what additional software would be needed and how much would it costs, approx.

Do you have more detail?

What do you mean by "integrating"? Reading bar codes? Printing them? Interpreting the sub-structure? Validating them?

Generally, any application that accepts keyboard input can also receive barcodes through a wedge or USB attached scanner and if that's all you need then no additional software is required.

I need help with this, and I know you never got a reply, Golom, but I thought I would ask for your help.

We have a simple shipping application. We would like to be able to scan a barcode, have it pull up the order in the shipping app, open the order, enter the weight in a seperate field (via a USB scale) and do some other simple tasks. We were doing this all by hand (typing it in), but we were hoping to eliminate some keystrokes.

I understand that I need to write a small program that is launched when I scan the barcode that will likely just enter some keystrokes that enters data in the shipping app. What should the program be written in? Any recommendations? I know some VB, but that's from years ago. Are there better programming languages now that we should use?

Thanks in advance!
Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back