Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrated IP Dect

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieV3

Programmer
Mar 8, 2006
GB
Hi All,

I have been tasked to deal with adding an integrated IP dect system to our 28 site cluster. I'll go through what I'm looking to achieve shortly, but I was wondering if any of you guys had tried to implement anything similar, or what you think of the idea in general.

We have a 28 site cluster (8000+ users spread across the UK, includes Media and Queuing GW's), and are looking to roll out an IP Dect solution. We don't really want to use Mitel's IP dect offering, we're not happing with the handsets amonst the reasons why. What we would also like to do is use the same Cisco basestations we use for our wireless data network. Finally, we'd like to be able to use the IP Dect handsets on any site, so if you register at one site, the registration is complete at all sites.

I have installed many Mitel systems, but being honest, my IP dect knowledge is pretty poor. I've been looking for info on the Mitel wireless gateways (thought it'd be as good as place as any to start with) on MOL and edocs, but I can't find much documentation at all.

Has anyone ever done anything similar? If so, what dect solution did you use? Was it supported by Mitel? What are the handsets like? Can they be twinned with desk phones? What licenses were required?

Oh, the sites are a mixture of CX-II's and MXe III's, running MCD 4.2 and MCD 5.0.

Thanks!

We have done samll installs of Kirk DECT that intergrates OK with Mitel(SIP based) and I don't see why you cant have all the handsets registered at each site. Thats just programming the controller.Handsets are Ok (its a personal thing really)Mitel used to use them (made by Polycom) I expect it would easy to have a personal ring group with handoff programmed. Needs a user licence for each phone. Its restricted to what a SIP phone will do so you lose some Mitel functionality.

ok well number one DECT is its own technology and uses its own base stations so you can't use your existing Cisco wireless AP's. DECT also doesn support data it is for voice only. So if you want to use Wireless phones on your existing Cisco you need a SIP or Minet based wireless handsets. I would suggest looking at Spectralink/Polycom as they have been working with Mitel for years. You do have to check that your Cisco AP's are on the Ploycom supported list. An other option is if you have cell phones with a wireless client. I use an iPhone with a SIP client ( iSIP ) on our wireless network which works well. The only issue is that the SIP clients don't handle the "handoff" between access points in the same graceful manner as a cell phone or the Polycom phones. i.e you can get dropped if you are walking and talking.

Would you happen to have UCA? In the next version ( coming out soon ) the UCA client for blackberry, andriod and iPhone includes a SIP client. I believe it also will ( in early 2013 ) have the ability to automatically detect a WiFi network and switch between the cell network and the wifi automatically when on a call. You currently have to do that manually.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Thanks Loopy Lou! I've been badgering my boss to take a trial of UCA, he's going to let me get it in for a bit of R&D early next year.

The IP dect solution is for care homes though, I don't think they'll give smart phones to the staff.... The handover may not be too much of an issue, as the sites are not that huge. One or two bases in most places will be ample. I'm definitely going to take a took at the SIP handset offering though.

I appreciate both of your comments. Thanks.

If anyone else would like to offer any further advice, please do so

We have 5610's in a care home and they work well and the extenders work too. Just a thought.

What about the 5624??

It is a wireless phone and Mitel so you will have features that other sip phone probably won't have.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

As Wireman50 says the 5610 might be your solution. You install a base on a 5330 ( or other set ) that acts as a DECT base station. You can run up to 8 phones off the one base station and I think they ( the base stations ) can even kind of work together to cover larger areas. Cheap and dirty way of giving spot DECT coverage.

If you still want to use the Cisco AP's and piggy back off the wireless data network then look at Polycom wireless handsets.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Hi Guys,

We currently use the 5610's, the management team aren't happy with the handsets! I know, I know [2thumbsup]

I've got in touch with Polycom, we're looking at the Spectralink Wireless Gateway 8000 solution, with some of the wireless handsets. Just waiting for an overview of the product, I have no access to Polycom support. One of their sales team will be in touch (eventually). Also looking at the OAI offering which comes as a bolt on.

Once I've got it rolled out I'll update if anyone is interested.

Once again, thanks guys.

Like I said, we can do the Polycom Kirk DECT range (which might be better than the spectra link if you have disparate IP addressing accross your sites). Works well with the Mitel given the SIP restrictions but then you will probably find the same with the Wi-Fi scenario.

Eddie V3, if you have a Mitel VAR they should be able to give you info on Polycom Spectralink. You don't necessarily have to speak to Polycom.

Cheers Loopy Lou, but we're in the process of reviewing our supplier, not looking to get into anything too large with them currently. That's why I went straight to Polycom, who have put me in touch with Multitone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back