Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrated Computer System???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someonehere

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
DE

Hi there, I would like to know the definition of an "Integrated Computer System", what is that?

I've been searching on the net but all I got was a list of specific Integrated Computer Systems, but not the definition.

Thanks in advance,
John Smith

As far as definitions go, context is everything. If it were describing a single computer, then most likely it would be talking about a motherboard with peripherals (sound, graphics, etc) built in.

Otherwise it might more generally refer to two or more individual systems that are designed to work closely together.

Unfortunately, it is a buzzword, not a commonly agreed technical term, so a generic definition isn't really possible. Hope this helps, if you have a specific circumstance in mind, post back with more detail, and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks for the info, I can get an idea about the concept.

Thanks again,
John Smith.

Yeah, it could be a number of things. My first impulse at "Integrated Computer System" was that they were talking about a system where major components, such as video and sound, are "integrated" or "built-in" to the motherboard.

Integrated systems are cost-effective, but don't compare to stand-alone add-in cards when it comes to overall performance.

tek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back