Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrated AC97 audio on MSI board 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh821

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
US
So I got a new MSI board (694T Pro) and it has Audio Codec (AC97) integrated into it. I then formatted my hard drive and did a clean install of WinXP Pro. I'm finding that I have no audio whatsoever though. It reads in my settings that I have the drivers for AC97 installed and that it's working properly but I don't have sound. I've tried multiple drivers and had no success so i don"t believe that's the problem. I've also tried doing a clean install of Win98SE and had the same problem so I don't believe it's an OS issue. The closest thing I've come to an answer is that I need to enable the plug and play enumerator in my bios (AMI BIOS 7.5), the problem is I don't have an option in my BIOS to do that, or it's really well hidden if I do have that option. If anyone has a clue, it'd be GREATLY appreciated.

Well, this is a good link for the drivers but when I try to run the setup for the 6863b one it tells me that AC 97 is not enabled and must be enabled in the BIOS. I can only turn it to disabled or auto in my BIOS and as far as I can tell, auto should work, but apparently it doesn't. Any more help?

I'm not familiar with the brand of mobo, but are there any settings in the BIOS for an external sound card that may be enabled and shouldn't? I have seen those mobos with onboard sound to have a setting for enabling soundblaster that must be on for the AC97 to work...

The test continues...

I have no other sound cards connected and I have all the sound options enabled, including the Soundblaster one.

Have you tried using the audio drivers that came on the mobo utility cd?

Yes I have, and I still end up with no sound. That's why I don't really think it's a driver issue. It seems that I just need to find out how to get it to enable the onboard audio in bios but I can't find a method of doing that anywhere. I've been searching the web for hours with no luck.

What does device manager say about sound devices? the only thing that needs set in the bios is the AC97 set to auto.. then check device manager for problem childs....unknown devices..and such...if nothing is showing up with problems try running add new hardware wizard and let windows do the search and see if it finds anything..if not you may have a bad board

The device manager says that it's installed and working properly, add new hardware doesn't find anything, and I haven't found any unknown devices.

going on what you have said
Clean install(drive formatted and reloaded)
bios is enabled and device shows up in device manager as working properly
doesnt leave much else...
just to make sure though...speakers are working properly?
(no broken wires or damaged plug)(tested on another system?)
plug into the right spot on the sound card....usually i believe this is the green hole...other than that sounds like a faulty plug on the MB

Yeah, speakers work fine, I already tried the speakers on my roommate's computer on mine to see if it'd work but no luck. Apparently I'm just screwed with this problem.

Nah, I don't even have a volume control button.

Someone who I gave an MSI board also couldn't get the sound working at all... I forget which model number, it was based of the KT333 chipset. I had it in my computer for a couple months before-hand but I've got a better PCI sound card I use instead, thus never noticed anything unusual.

So maybe there's something with MSI boards & sound?

Look in control panel, multimedia and see what is showing for playback and record.

No playback devices, no record devices, and no midi devices.

Hey Josh821,

I also have an MSI board with onboard sound...

so here comes the million dollar question? do you have an onboard soundchip? like CT5883 or such? if yes then install sounddrivers for Creative Soundblaster PCI... cuz that is mostlikely where your problem lies...

I also tried to install the AC97 drivers and got the same message as you did... did a little research and found out that I had a full fledged soundchip on board, after which I went to the Creative Soundblaster site and downloaded the latest driver for the 'Creative SoundBlaster 128PCI' OnBoard Sound drivers with the 2MB Midifile that is at least needed to get them to work...

and to make the Longstory short it works still... got no problems since...

Ben

PS. after downloading make sure that you keep a copy of the drivers for future reference...

Thanks for the info. I found the I did have something similar to what you have, downloaded the Soundblaster drivers, and alas, still have no sound. The drivers didn't even show up anywhere in my sound devices.

Hi Josh,

don't forget that you need the MIDI file (eapci2m.ecw - it's 2MB long) at least for the Sounddriver to work...

and before you install the SB drivers make sure that the Soundblaster option and AC97 are enabled in BIOS and that the sounddrivers for the AC97 are totally removed from the system...

I had to fiddle awhile til I got it right...

see I have a MS-6309 V2.0 MoBo with the same soundchip...

Ben

PS. I hope you get it running...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back