Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrate Project & Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savil

Programmer
Apr 28, 2003
EU
I have been asked to do simple task (In my emloyers eyes) which is to allow a Project file to connect to an Access db whenever the Project user makes any amendments. The Project file needs to send to the db the UserID, Date, Time and any possible info about the amendment. I have no problem with the Access side of the task and am very familiar with VBA but I am unsure of the events, objects and properties available within Project. If anybody has done a similar task to this or has the knowledge to best tackle this job I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Have you looked at office 2003 yet? the xml features are wonderful and integrate incredibly well with project 2003 beta also. I am running a similar program here and have had great success with it.

This is an article explaining how to connect Project to SQL Server, but I'm sure it works with Access as well.

You can open the Project by connecting to the database in the same way once the DSN has been established. You can also change settings in Project to open up the OBDC connection window instead of the file system window.

If you open the project using the DSN to the Database, then clicking save will save any changes back to the database.

Be warned, the resulting Access database is quite complex.

BDC.

I would be interested in the way MS Project is able to interface with other applications through the use of XML. Does anyone have the description of the file MS Project creates/reads to exchange information with such applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back