Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrate Crystal XI tools into Visual Studio 2005? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigBest

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
an someone please help me understand how to integrate an install of Crystal XI Developers Edition into Visual Studio 2005? I am trying to get rid of the pre-installed version 10 tools and access the Crystal XI tools from the IDE.

Normally I would just follow the add components process, browse to the Business Objects / Crystal Reports directories, and add items, but I can't seem to locate the .NET components for it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a framework update I need to get?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

CraigHartz

CraigHartz

Hi,
Be sure to install CR XI ( should be R2 ) AFTER Visual Studio, otherwise the assemblies will not be registered correctly...From my experience a reinstall/repair ( from the add/remove programs control) will not work..An uninstall/install is needed.

Use the add 'Item to the Toolbar' option in VS to select the correct version of the tools ( usually, if R2, 11.5.xxxx) and de-select the V10 ones..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hi Turkbear

OK, thanks, I'll got the uninstall - reinstall route. Definitely installed after VS, been running that for 9 months now.

Nothing shows up at all in the Add Items option for Version 11 at all.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Craig

CraigHartz

Hi,
Just to clarify what I meant ( about adding things):

On the Toolbar,not in the Solution Explorer, right-click and select 'Choose Items'..

I was not clear before, so I hope no confusion resulted..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hi TurkBear,

Well, I just tried the uninstall / reinstall and I still don't see any of the version 11 controls when I right-click on the toolbox toolbar. I'm sure you are right and the objects are not being registered properly, but what can I do to fix that?

I'm going to try to install the service packs (2 and 3) for the original version of XI and see if that helps.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

CraigHartz

CraigHartz

Okay, so I installed all the service packs and no change. I go to the BI website, and looking through the knowledge base I come across something that says Crystal XI (release 1) is not designed to integrate with VS 2005.

!!!

So now what do I do? Is release two an extra cost to upgrade to? We just bought this 3 weeks ago and assumed it would work with VS 2005.

Help!

CraigHartz

CraigHartz

Woo Hoo! That's great, thanks! I was afraid I was going to have to tell my boss we bought the wrong one!

Thanks so much for your help. I'll let you know if there are any further issues.

CraigHartz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back