Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insufficient space; _RESTORE => Who is eating up my space 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2003
US
Help!

I clean up almost everything on my C drive (2GB) and got 500MB free space. And quickly it was taken away in the same session.

I read some notes from this forum and checked _RESTORE folder and found 500+MB in TEMP.

Q1) How can I remove files from _RETORE (hightlight
and delete key results "cannot delete files are
in use" message)

Q2) How to set the _RESTORE size down. I set the bar to
min in the "file system" "Hard disk" - now it is
greyed out and can not be moved.

Q3) How to turn-on-off "RESTORE" as it was referred in one
forum message?

You can turn off system restore from system properties. If you turn it off and on again I think it will 'reset' and return space used in _restore to you.

I don't know why the bar is now greyed out.

I had the same problem.

I resetted _restore.
My _Restore took about 16 Gigs of my 40 gig hard drive. _Restore was increasing everytime I uninstall anything. It is not fixed.

This was while back.

Thanks for the responses.

I actually found out how to clean up the _RESTORE directory.
Here is how I did it.

1) go to control-system and click "performance" tab
2) click on "File System" (lower left hand corner) and a
new "File System Properties" window pops up
3) click on the "Troubleshooting" tab
4) select "Disable System Restore" click "apply"
5) re-boot the system (must)

The TEMP directory (where all the big files are) will be gone and the space is BACK!!

The bar (in file system properties window" to control the RESTORE should also be movable again!

By the way, if it did not work check the selection of the "Disable System Restore" is still on after re-boot and repeat the steps until it works.

Hope this helps.

Hi, ive had all of the same problems, luckily I am on a multi boot system so I can just OS hop and delete the folders, but when I dissable system restore, after a couple of restarts, its all back to normal and sucking up my free space and I cant get rid of it. Is there a way I can rip it out of the registry so it will never come back to haunt me?

Thanks 3838 - that was exactly what I needed to free up 1.7 GB of space on my C: What causes the _RESTORE to jump up to max size is beyond me.

I like having it, but I don't like it intruding like it does on my mere 9.1 GB hard-drive.

Thanks again for such a helpful post.

Einstein47
("There are no atheists when restoring from backup.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back