Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insufficient Rights for Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoughboyII

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
US
We are currently running Windows 2000 Server and have all users authenticate/ and get there policy. I'm currently running into a problem with certain applications like AutoCad and Office 2000 wanting to modify the registry. Well the user doesn't have sufficient rights to the registry so we get serveral error messages.

In the MMC Console I created a security template off of some that come with win2k server, My question is do I have to load the programs onto the server itself to find what registry entries are made and then assign special rights to those entries?

Seems like my Windows2000 Administrators Companion book talks about it but doesn't really tell me.

Hi,
what we did since our users can't install software or entre the registy is to give in regedt32 permissions to all users in the hklocal machine\software read/write.
It should do the job Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

On the local machines themselves or in the Group Policy?

I can't believe theres not another way to give the applications themselves the ability to modify there own registry entries.

I am having a problem when a Windows 2000 Machine logins into the network and the user is a domain user they can't install any software. Now, any previous software that was installed does not run. If i login as the local user and install the software it shows up in programs, but i get errors. The only way I can get this to work, it to make the users DOMAIN ADMINS and it works. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back