Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insufficient privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgillin

Programmer
Mar 20, 2003
US
Error: You do not have sufficient privileges to write to the specified path. in compnonent Database Configuration Assistant 9.2.0.1.0. Installation cannot continue for this component.

This is the error I receive when running the Oracle installer. I'm executing ./runInstaller as user oracle.

Does anyone know what privileges I don't have that would prevent me from completing the install?

Thanks
Chris

CGillin,

I infer from the error message that mention, that you are installing on a *nix operating system. (Could you please confirm that?) If that is the case, one of the many paths to which Oracle writes during installation does not allow you (as Oracle) permission to write to it. For example, if you do the *nix command: "ls -l" showing the path to which you are trying to write, you may see the following:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root        512 Apr 12  2004 var/log/
If Oracle is trying to write to the above path, it cannot since no one is allowed to write to that path except "root". You will need to have someone with "root" privileges to a "chmod 777 /var/log", for example, to allow Oracle to write to that path.

Let us know your findings.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 01:50 (17Nov04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 18:50 (16Nov04) Mountain Time

Additionally, if it's not imperitive that root should own these directories, change them so that oracle does. Something like chown oracle:dba /var/log might do. Alternatively, as it's the installer chown oracle:eek:install /var/log might be necessary. As 'super user', root will retain all rights to read, write and execute in the directory anyway. Be careful for the trap that, although you might chmod and chown a specific directory, if you don't have permissions to the directory structure above it , then you still won't be able to access it. chown and chmod with the -R option will recursively traverse the directory structure changing permissions as they go. Tell us how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back