Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insufficient mem PIII 1.0GHZ FoxPro 2.6a Dos - Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtech

Programmer
May 26, 2001
CA
Hi everyone,

I just move my application written in Foxpro 2.6a Dos into my new Dell PIII 1.0GHZ and when I try to open my project with MODI PROJ PROJNAME in the command windows and got a message Insufficient Memory. I don't know how to deal with it.
If anyone can help me to solve this problem, I will be very appreciaed.

I know that exist the patch_26 for fast computer but this one is for Foxpro 2.6a for windows. What's I need is Foxpro 2.6a for Dos.

Thanks in advance !

There are a number of threads here that discuss this problem on computers with OSs and more memory than what was available at the time FPD 2.6a was last updated (July 13, 1994!).

First, do a MODI COMM sysy(2019), and if you don't have a MEMLIMIT entry in your CONFIG.FP file consider adding:
MEMLIMIT=60, 2048, 16384

Rick

HI,
1. If you have an ICON on the desktop,
Select this Icon
Right Click on the mouse
Select Properties
There will be a Memory TAB
and in this TAB select HMA as AUTO if this is none.

2. May be this is not available on the ICON (because it depends on the way you created the shortcut).. in which case, Browse using explore and reach the application
Now high light this application and Right Click on the mouse. Now do the same above suggestion.

3. Make a note of what Rick said about MEMLIMIT. That helps to avoid some possible freezes as well owing to extra memory with W2000.

This shall solve your problem. :)
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot Rick and Ramani, both soulutions worked very well.

regards,

Hi Rick & Ramani:

I'm running the 07/03/94 version of FPD2.6a -- SET MEMLIMIT TO isn't recognized at the command line -- does MEMLIMIT actually DO anything in DOS if added to CONFIG.FP? All my documentation relating to MEMLIMIT seems to be in conjunction with FPW -- or is this another one of Bill's "Undocumented Features"?

Thanks.
Jerry4DOS

Jerry,
MEMLIMIT Only works in the CONFIG file - there is no SET equivalent since the numbers are used to intialize the environment. In my 2.6a FPD help file, I find 3 references to MEMLIMIT:
> Doc Changes Since Printing
> Internal Consistency Errors
> Insufficient Memory

Rick

Rick:
>#1 specifies "FoxPro FOR WINDOWS"
>#2 specifies "CONFIG.FPW"
>#3 specifies "FoxPro FOR WINDOWS"
I may be missing something here, but I can't see MEMLIMIT having any effect at all in DOS versions.
Jerry

Jerry,
It appears we have different versions of the FPD help file, because my #1 talks about CONFIG.FP (no mention of FPW). And while #2 & #3 mention FPW they are clearly about FPD. (FOXHELP.DBF & .FPT - 7/15/94)

Rick

Rick,

How come my Foxpro2.6a on WIN2K wouldn't excute the config.fp at all?

Mchen2

I'm not really sure what you mean by "execute". The Config file is strictly for setting up some initial values - usually different from the standard defaults. For XP - which should work pretty much the same as W2K, I use the following - note your drives will probbly differ and you may not use GenScrnX:
Code:
* CONFIG.FP for Development
resource=d:\fpd26\foxuser
help=l:\apps\fpd26\foxhelp.dbf
TALK=OFF
tmpfiles=d:\foxtemp
sortwork=d:\foxtemp
editwork=d:\foxtemp
progwork=d:\foxtemp
default=d:\fpd26path=d:\fpd26_assist="l:\apps\fpd26\catalog.app"
_beautify=""
_foxdoc="l:\apps\fpd26\foxdoc.exe"
_foxgraph=""
_gengraph="l:\apps\fpd26\gengraph.app"
_genmenu="l:\apps\fpd26\genmenu.fxp"
_genpd="l:\apps\fpd26\genpd.app"
_genscrn="l:\apps\fpd26\genscrn.prg"
_genxtab="l:\apps\fpd26\genxtab.fxp"
_shell=""
_startup="d:\fpd26\windef.mpx"
_transport="l:\apps\fpd26\transprt.fxp"
MVCOUNT=1024 && 512 
MEMLIMIT = 80, 2048, 16384
CATMAN=OFF
display=VGA50
_genscrnX=l:\apps\fpd26\genscrn.prg
_SCXDRV1=d:\foxproz\genscrnx\Standard.PRG
_SCXDRV5=d:\foxproz\genscrnx\3D.PRG
_FOXSCX=d:\FPW26\FOXSCX.DBF
century=on
codepage=auto
And for an application:
Code:
* CONFIG.FP
resource=off
help=off
TALK=OFF
tmpfiles=c:\foxtemp
sortwork=c:\foxtemp
editwork=c:\foxtemp
progwork=c:\foxtemp
*default=<app dependent>
*path=<app dependent>
MVCOUNT=1024 && 512 
MEMLIMIT = 80, 2048, 16384
CATMAN=OFF
display=VGA50
century=on
codepage=auto
Rick

RICK, PLEASE CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT MAY I DO, AND WHAT CONFIG FILES? DEFINE ANY PARAMETER TO MAKE POSSIBLE THE BEST USE OF MY MEMORY EXTENDED OR EXPANDED WHEN I RUN MY APLICATIONS (*.EXE) IN A NOVELL 4.11 NETWORK ENVIROMENT WITH PCS (dos 6.22) ATTACHED TO SERVER DIRECTLY

THANKS

GONDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back