Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insufficient Disk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperG

Programmer
Mar 24, 2000
CA
I get a "Insufficient Disk Space" error when restructureing larger tables on the network drive.

The drive is 120GB and the table is about 450MB with 1900000 records.

Is there a BDE setting that needs to be modified? If I copy the table to my local drive I can restructure it fine.

Thank you.

Glenn

SuperG,

Depending on your version of Paradox, you may be running into a limitation with large drives. You may recall a time when Windows applications couldn't understand more than 2GB of free space. Well, older versions of Paradox were no different.

(The problem lies in the internal data type used to hold available disk space. It's a fairly common story.)

You may need to create a network partition that's have 2GB or less of free space and use that for your Paradox work.

Alternatively, you may find the LESSPACE utility (available at useful, though I'm not certain I'd use it with a network drive.

Finally, you might consider upgrading to a version of Paradox that support large drives. Most versions past v8.0 can do this with little problem. EBay (or other auction sites) can be a good source for older versions, though you have to be cautious.

hope this helps...

-- Lance

waitwaitwaitwait..NO NEW PARTITION before you do a few more simple tasks.

I've got to look one up which I scribbled here a while back, so this will be the first of two parts, but this one is probably more important.

When Paradox restructures or otherwise deals with a database it doesn't just fool with the table, but drags the entire family of forms, queries and the other cousins and the aunts along behind it. This gets big, so of course you don't have enough disk (really cache space) to store the bunch of them while PDOX works its magic.

The really, really simple way to deal with a table (well, simpler at any rate) is to copy it to it's own folder on a separate drive..only the one table. Close Paradox, open the table by clicking on it rather than opening it from inside Paradox. Do whatever you want to, then copy it over the existing table. Everything will be hunky dorey. Now let me go find the other answer, which I think did not come from me. It's not a repartitioning at any rate.

OK, as I suspected it was from my hero Lance/Footpad, who writes

JLL,

%TEMP% is usually on C:. You can check this by running the SET command from a command prompt.

If it is the TEMP drive, you can change it from an AUTOEXEC.BAT file, though I know some people don't recommend doing so.

A CheckAll query is my way of saying "a query that selects all fields and all records" from the table. You can do this in a couple of different ways:

1. Using QBE:

1.1 Create a new QBE query containing your table.
1.2 When you get to the horizonal criteria window, press Shift+F6 twice. This places a CheckPlus in every field in your table.
1.3 Press F8 to run the query.

2. Using SQL:

SELECT * FROM TABLENAME

If you have problems running the query, then it probably is a disk space issue. Try moving your private directory (which I will wager is currently on C:) from the Database tab of the Preferences dialog.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

And, of course, this is clear only to me. The reason he wrote this is that P stores the files in the %temp% directory when queries or other changes are made. If you put the temp directory where there is more space, it may work. It has twice for me. If not,then since he is usually right, go back to the more drastic solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back