Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instructor led training vs self led training 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosie2

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
US

I am a systems administrator for a small company (50 users) with an NT domain. I have an excellent computer background but do not have any certifications. I am wanting to add some of Comptia's certifications as well as an eventual MCSA. I am needing some advice on what direction to go. There are local companies offering instructor led certification courses which are quite expensive. Is instructor led training worth the money or are self help books and web based tutorials just as good? What are the best self help books to read and websites to view? Thanks very much.

IMO instructor led CompTIA training is not necessary. With your background, CompTIA certification is well within the scope of self-study.

For A+, you might pick up M. Myers All-in-One book. Definately pick up Tcat's Study Guides. Send an email to ebooks@Tcat.net (no subject or message required). An autoresponder will send you a link to download 4 books in PDF. FREE! They are excellent and should prepare you for the exams well.

Check out Tcat's ebook for Network+ at .
Tcat was one of the original SMEs for Network+ and he has the insight to help you pass. Trust me on this one.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,CET,CST,CNST,CNCT,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

glister has the certs to prove his case, but I would agree with his assesment regardless. If you are working in the field now, you surely have seen in some fashion or another the bulk of the material on the test. Self-study is the way to go for you.

Now, had you said you were new to PCs, or are formerly an accountant or truck driver looking to make a career move, I would then encourage you to take the instructor-led courses.

I definitely recommend Michael Meyer's All In One A+ Certification guide.

One of the instructors at a local school is a friend of my boss and he handed me a copy of it (for free, too!) and I have used it as a field manual to get aquainted with things I have never come across before.

Great book, great info, very useful...but the info on the cd rom is a little too basic if you have a general background in computers already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back