Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instructions for Adding Network Printer to CMS??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwolgast

MIS
May 20, 2002
US
Does anyone have instructions for adding a network printer to CentreVu CMS? We are running V3R5, and the printers on our network are Lexmark Optras predominately.

Assistance is appreciated!

Dave Wolgast

start by logging in on the cms box and type "man lpadmin"

If you have network printing installed, you will find a .txt file under /export/home/pserv/printers that explains what to do in jetadmin to administer a network printer and how to set it up in CMS.

Using third party tools is generally a good idea, however I have experienced problems with JetAdmin. Seeing that dwolgast has lexmark printers, I thought it would be a better scenario to configure the printer as a remote printer.
OK, dwolgast, I am doing this from memory so bear with me. It should at least get you started. I am sure other people can elaborate at a later stage. You will need to know the printers IP address, and what name the printer thinks it is called. With this info, add an entry to /etc/hosts for the printername.

You would then do the following,
# lpsystem -t bsd <printer_hostname>
# lpadmin -p <prt_name> -s <printer_hostname>
# accept prt_name
# enable prt_name

Note : <printer_hostname> is the hostname you have placed in the /etc/hosts file as the network printer server's name.

Note : <prt_name> is what the network printer actually thinks its printer name is.

Next step is to start taking a look at lpstat, lpadmin. Just check the man pages.

Hope this gets you started....perhaps you could post this question in the Solaris forum as well?

As someone with little unix experience how do I add an entry to /etc/hosts for the printername.

hmmm, be careful if you are not used to playing around with root access please...

but here goes

type &quot;vi /etc/hosts&quot;
with the arrow keys place the cursor where you want your entry.
hit the 'i' (to go into insert mode)
type your entry
hit 'esc' to exit insert mode
type &quot;:wq!&quot; (read it as write, then quit)

if you find you made a mistake, hit the escape key a few hundred times to be sure, then type &quot;:q!&quot; to cancel and exit.

&quot;man vi&quot; will explain more...

Thanks BIS, looks like I've only got read permission for this function...probably for the best! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back