Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSTR function problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

secondreckoned

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
CA
Hi,
I am writing a login script with a permission level authenication for a web page, there are 5 sections that require logins on the page. I am trying assign a letter to each section ie,

A - Admin
B - Process
C - HR
D - Management
E - Escalation

Depending on the type user ID users can have access to one or many of the sections, so an admin level with access to Process and Escalation would look like "BE" or admin HR would look like "AC". I am trying to use an INSTR function to facilitate this. Here is the code I am using.
<%
If request.form.count => 1 Then

ManagerID = request.Form(ucase("ManagerID"))
ManagerPassword = request.Form(ucase("ManagerPassword"))

If ManagerPein = "" Or ManagerPassword = "" Then
error = "*You Did Not Enter Either A Pein Or Password.<br>"
End If

Set verifyRS = objADOConn.execute("Select Top 1 * From tb_Docs Where ManagerID = '"&ManagerID&"' And ManagerPassword = '"&ManagerPassword&"'")

if verifyRS.BOF or VerifyRS.EOF Then
verify = "*ID Or Password Entered Does Not Match DataBase.<br>"
end if

'this is where the INSTR function comes in, trying to access escalation section.
'compare adminlevel from recordset to required level to access section - "E"
if INSTR(1,cstr(verifyRS("AdminLevel")),"E",0) = 0 Then
verify = verify & "*You Do Not Have Permission To Enter This Section.<br>" end if

if error = "" and verify = "" Then
'if id and password entered are correct and admin level is correct go to escalation section
response.Redirect(" End If
End If
%>

The problem I am having is that if the user enters the correct ID and password the script will take them to the correct section; however, if they don't they get an error stating:

error '80020009'
Exception occurred.
line 30 'this is the line with the INSTR function.

Also if I take out the part where I use the INSTR function the script works fine. I have varified using vartype that the datatype reading from the db is a string, so I can't figure out why I am getting this error, can anyone spot a flaw in my syntax or logic? Thanks in advance for any help...

Possibly a case sensitivity issue.

INSTR(1,cstr(verifyRS("AdminLevel")),"E",[!]0[/!])

With 0, InStr does a case sensitive compare. Changing the value to 1 will cause a case-insensitive compare.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Thanks George, I tried both ways but still getting the same error.

Code:
  if verifyRS.BOF or VerifyRS.EOF Then
            verify = "*ID Or Password Entered Does Not Match DataBase.<br>"              
    [s]    end if[/s]
[red]else[/red]

'this is where the INSTR function comes in, trying to access escalation section.
                                'compare adminlevel from recordset to required level to access section - "E"  
        if INSTR(1,cstr(verifyRS("AdminLevel")),"E",0) = 0 Then 
            verify = verify & "*You Do Not Have Permission To Enter This Section.<br>"            
end if

if error = "" and verify = "" Then
                                               'if id and password entered are correct and admin level is correct go to escalation section            
            response.Redirect("[URL unfurl="true"]http://escalationlog.asp")[/URL]
        End If
    End If

-DNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back