Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instead of .NET sql bulk copy, is it possible with Stored-Procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fletchsod

Programmer
Dec 16, 2002
Hi!

I've been writing the .NET application/window-service to start using bulk copy instead of line-by-line sql insertion, when reading from text file. It works pretty fast and beautifully.

Now I'm wondering if it can be done with the .NET script to do bulk stored-procedures? If so, what .NET object does those? I haven't found one that does this.

Thanks...

if works fast and beautifully, why change it?

2nd a stored proc is just executable sql statements (similar to ado.net command text). you can use a proc to kick of a DTS/SSIS package which can preform the ETL (extract, transform, load) for you, but this is redundant.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

I have 5 applications/window-services that read from text file. I just converted 4 of them to use bulk copy.

The 5th application/window-service is what I'm working on right now, it read data line-by-line, for each line it called the stored-procedure. The script inside stored-procedure manipulate the data further before inserting to database.

Since the bulk copy works, (read line-by-line to dataset then bulk copy to database) so I figure there should be one for stored-procedure for bulk copy for quicker processing time.

DTS/SSIS package is too much trouble cuz it can't do a few things for our need. Oh well.

Thanks...

check out rhino.etl. simple and easy to use. good references online too.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back