Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instead of Ghost can I rebuild a scsi drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceej

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2001
US
I have a Dell SBS2003 server with 2 partitions with Raid 1.

One of the drives went bad so I decided to replace both.

Instead of Ghost, could I do the following:
1. Replace the bad drive and do a rebuild.
2. Replace the older good drive and do another rebuild.

The scsi drives in their right now are only 16 gb and the new ones are 146 gb.

Yes, you can do that. I suggest that you do a fresh backup just before the rebuild, just in case. With that said, your rebuilding scheme will leave your array with 1 16GB partition and 130GB (probably more like 120) of unpartitioned space.

No, your out of luck, if you want one volume, as before. You will not be able to use a partition manager such as Acronis or Paragon to merge the resulting space together. Raid 1 does not work like raid 5 as to incorporating the added space provided by a new larger drive into an existing volume.

Best bet, if you have empty SCA slots...
Leave the present raid 1 alone, add the new disks as a new raid 1. Ghost (clone) the old array to the new array, once completed, if necessary go into the raid bios, change the boot order to boot to the new array.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Ok. What about using something like EASEUS software to clone?

Trying not to pay a few hundred dollars for a one time job.

p.s.
I liked your comment about leaving the alarm on when the server is down.

No issue, as long as the software will create a clone and expand in the process to use all of the new arrays size...nothing to lose, your original array remains intact.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back