Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instant Messenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e46fan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2002
US
I have a few users that want and think they need a instant messenging service for work with a remote site. I have been reluctant to use in the past. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments before we just go get MSN or something. I would like have as secure and controlled client as I can.
Thanks.

Depends on if you are willing to spend any money I suppose.

Are your workstations running Windows XP? If so then you can use the Windows Messenger rather than MSN. It doesn't have all the extra fluff like stock quotes etc.

Microsoft has a server solution that lets you run all your IM internally without having to pass through Internet Servers. (code name was Greenwich but I don't recall the released product name).

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I have a mix of 98/2000 and XP clients at this point. I will have to pass through the internet to get to the remote site. All the traffic coming in and out of here pass through my ISA server, so I don't know what ports I will need open at this point either.

Thanks for response.

For instant messaging

Set outgoing Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) connections to port 1863 on your proxy servers.
On the main window, click the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Connection tab.
Note the information that is required on this tab.
Provide all network users with the information and instructions they need to properly configure the Connection tab of their Windows Messenger program.
Make sure the internal local area network has access to the Domain Name System (DNS) servers to resolve the names of external hosts such as messenger.microsoft.com.

For file transfer

Open as many TCP ports as you can between 6891 and 6900.
Configure the TCP ports so that sockets on a port remain open for an extended period of time.
Note

If you are using a NAT, file transfer will not work unless you have a Universal Plug and Play NAT (UPnP NAT). If you are not sure what type of NAT you have, check with your computer manufacturer or NAT vendor. Make sure that your NAT is updated to the latest version and that it is UPnP-compliant.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the info Markdmac!

Anyone with ideas on other messenger products? Just got done reading about Softros messenger and IMsecure Pro, but of course those are not free.

Thanks.

We are trying Sftros and popmessenger, both work great for just sending messages to users on line. But if someone sends you a message and you reply after they have loged out, it seems your reply never makes it to them. I have not been able to get softros to send a file, but Popmessenger sends them just fine.

Our users would like to send messages even when the other person is not logged on. I see other programs that have use a server, perhaps i will try that next.

We have a Jabber server onsite we use. The server's Open Source software and runs on several different platforms. We run it on RedHat on an extra PC that was lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back