Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instant Messenger 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyeditor

Programmer
Apr 23, 2002
NO
Hello, I have a small question.

I'm connected to the Exchange Server with my messenger, but i thought that the domain users would automaticaly be listed in the messenger. This is not the case. Do i really have to add new contact for everyone in mye domain?! Is there a way to automatic import the domain users in my contact list or have i made a mistake when i innstalled the messenger on the server or the client on my machine?

Can somebody help?

:-Salute from Boyeditor-:

I don't think there is any easy way except to create a contact list, and then export it to a file. You can import that file into other messengers.

Probably the easiest way is the registry. We pre-loaded an installation messenger with the contact list of the employees and then imported the registry entry into all the client PCs.

We're a small office, so I can imagine in large environments this could be a hassle.

Thanks for your help StaticActs, but unfortunatly it didn't help me much. Since I wrote this I have been experimenting with the messenger and all the stuff you listed up we have allready tried.

But since you are a messenger enthusiast I have another question for you. Is it possible to change the port that the Windows Messenger uses to comunicate with the Exchange Server 2000. It listen on port 80, but that leads to a crash with another software that also uses port 80. How do i change the port settings on the internal messenger service?

:- Salute from Boyeditor -:

Easy solution.

Either bind the instant messenger web to a differnt IP on the server via the IIS admin tool "OR" create a host header for the messenger web ie messenger.yourcorp.com thus allowing the 2 webs which are conflicting to share the same IP and port.

Thanks man. That solved my problem!!!

:- Salute from Boyeditor -:

Boyeditor,

The contact list is stored in the Registry at the following location:

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Messenger\Profiles\<IM Server URL>\Contacts

The IM Server URL might be something like
Perhaps there is a script you could write that would add entries automatically to a user's profile

Has anybody put together a script that I could take a look at?

Scripting isn't my strong point.

Many thanks
Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back