Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instant Messenger - Internal

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacasa

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
Yahoo IM is used to communicate with other employees with the LAN. Unfortunately there is a lot of not work related chatting going on. I want to disable or stop anyone from installing any external IM. Is there an internal IM solution - preferably free since we are a non-profit.

I have 30 clients on a Win 2k server with active directory. I also have Exchange, but I have not installed it yet. Our email is handled for free by a local ISP. Does Exchange have IM.

Im preety sure you can do that with Jabber. It allows you to setup your own IM chat server and works just like most IM systems.

Oh. Having said that. AIM and MSN (and maybe Yahoo im not sure) all have web based IM client now. Which is a real pain here at a school cause there's nothing I can do about those. So just keep in mind your users may just move over to a web based client.

We use Reuters Messaging here. It works pretty well. I don't know its price.

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

I did that on our old router but we have a new cisco 1721 and I havnt figure out how to do that yet. Even so all the students knew websites to go to that let you override what ever web filters you have. So I never got ahead.
Now as long as I can prevent them donig damage to the machine setup I let the teachers monitor wether the students are doing what they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back