Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instant log off of all users when logging in

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelly18

MIS
Apr 17, 2002
US
I have come across an issue on a Windows 2000 Server that I can't find any articles about. When I log on to the box with any account, domain admin, local Admin, or any other user, the machine logs in successfully then instantly logs you out. It begins to load the personal profile, and as soon as it completes, it logs out and takes you back to the Ctrl, Alt, Delete screen to log on.

I don't have any group policy or log on scripts running, and it doesn't generate any error messages. All the services are running correctly on the system, but it won't let me on.

Any help would be extremely helpful!!

Thanks in advance,

Andy

How long has this been happening? Sounds like a rites issue. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

It just started 2 days ago when I changed the local admin password. In my desparation of fixing this, I have found log files on the box that show Exchange 2000 was loaded earlier that day. Somehow, permissions were modified for the /winnt and /winnt/system32 directories. The Everyone group MUST have at least Read & Execute on these directories in order to log on. By reseting permissions with propogation on the /winnt directory, everything was fixed.

Thanks for your reply though.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back