Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InstallShield 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Derry

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US
I've used InstallShield Express Limited Edition 2.12 to create a setup executable. Does anyone know of any reason why this executable should fail when trying to run on Windows 2000 machines? It previously installed our Delphi application fine on Win 95 and NT. (At the moment the user hasn't provided any error messages)

Hi -

I personally gave up with Installshield and was persuaded (by positive reviews in this and other forums) to try InnoSetup. This is a freeware general-purpose installer that is well-supported.

Being well supported, there are scripts to even do stuff like re-distribute the BDE (if you still use it.)

Anyway, here is a link if you want to check it out..

Opp.

I had a similar problem, with Install Shield Express, in my case the installer tried to register certain dll's that Windows 2000 would not let it register, it kept coming up with something like: "The Registry entry being modified is restricted, or being used by Windows or another application", i found that if I run the installer when logged in as the adminsitrator, it would install fine. i guess it has something to do with the security settings in windows 2000, and it permissions for common users.

Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back