Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InstallShield created shortcut has no target directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loomis

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
US
I am using Installshield v5 (comes w/vfp9), have installed an application on a target machine (win98) and everything works fine. However, even though Installshield creates a shortcut on the desktop of the target machine that launches the applications properly, the properties dialog for that shortcut doesn't contain any info about the application. The "target directory" edit box is blank. How does the shortcut know where the application is and how to launch same. Are there registry entries that correspond to the shortcut that hold this information? How can I see it? Is there a way to create shortcuts whose dialog box will hold info about the app?

Thanks

Loomis,

My guess is that the information is stored in the LNK file, that is, the file in the Desktop folder that represents the shortcut. But I've no idea why it's not visible in the shortcut properties.

If you want more control over desktop shortcuts, you can achieve that by using the Windows Scripting Host. See for some ideas.

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Hi Loomis

Take a look at thread1251-1147630 and in particluar, further down the thread. I'm not sure if this will help but I had the same problem thats now been resolved.

Good luck

Lee

Visual FoxPro Versions: 6 & 9
Operating System: Windows XP

Dear Keepingbusy:
In looking at the responses, I am not sure if everyone understands my problem. I am using Installshield v5 (VFP9) and I understand how to create a shortcut on the target machine using Installshield. My problem is that even though the shortcut is created, and even though the shortcut launches the application perfectly, the properties dialog for the shortcut contains no information (blank) in the box for target directory and path. The properties dialog box for the shortcut is completely blank even though the shortcut works properly. The target machine is Windows 98. Shouldn't Installshield create shortcuts on the target machine with editable boxes in its properties dialog box?

Loomis

Loomis,

I agree that what you are seeing is strange and unexpected, and it would be nice to have an explanation. But is it a problem? You said that the shortcut was correctly launching the application. Apart from satisfying your curiosity, is there any reason to persue it?

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Loomis

I agree with Mike. There's an old saying "If it 'aint broke don't fix it" but I'm sure there will be some feedback posted about that!

Sorry I can't answer your question on your issue.

Good luck

Lee

Visual FoxPro Versions: 6 & 9
Operating System: Windows XP

MikeLewis & KeepingBusy:

You guys are right, it really isn't broke so I should probably quite wasting my time trying to fix it. I admit I was a little curious about the problem and thought there might be a quick and simple fix. Thanks for your feedback.

Loomis

Loomis,

On reflection, this has probably got nothing to do with VFP, or even InstallShield. It must be something in the nature of Windows shortcuts.

I still think you're right not to spend time on it, but if you -- or anybody else -- ever discovers the answer, it would be interesting to know about it.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back