Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing XP over Windows ME ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

che8a

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
US
Do I have to use the Windows XP Upgrade or can I simply install Windows XP over my existing Win Me ? If the latter is true will, I lose any items installed under Me ? I have been given conflicting answers from relative tech novices and would like clarification.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The upgrade package would let you:
. upgrade ME to XP
. Add in addition to ME XP (if you have a free partition or drive)
. repair an existing XP installation
. overwrite an existing XP installation

Either choice #1 or #3 would preserve your existing ME programs and data.

If you choose an option such as #4, you will lose your ME installed software, programs and settings.

bcastner is right, but keep in mind that even microsoft doesn't recommend upgrading windows ME to windows XP. You can try it, sometimes the upgrade works well but just make sure you have a backup of all your files before hand.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

See this second post by "che8a" too.

Installing Windows XP (over Win Me) Follow-up Q&A
thread779-739066

Whoa. I never, ever, ever "upgrade" OS's..

Sure it sucks, but it's worth doing a fresh install. I'd backup as much as you can and do a clean install.

And there are ways around installing a full version from an upgrade... As long as you have *a* full version of *any* recent Windows OS you shouldn't have a problem.

I also NEVER perform an upgrade install over a previous OS. Upgrading as opposed to a full install might sound like the easier way to go, but you're asking for trouble (IMHO). I don't think I've ever seen a system come through an "upgrade" without issues. They sometimes come through completely hosed.

I agree. Even upgrading XP Home to Pro causes problems...

Please click on the link linney provided above.

My only addition to what has been said is that for a clean install of notebooks, special attention should be given to the often odd drivers installed by the OEM manufacturer.

Whether desktop or notebook, make a complete set of all installed drivers. This would include not just the driver.sys files, but the .inf and .cat files as well. Foruntately there is a little utility that makes quick work of this chore.
Two thoughts:

1. Doing this for notebooks is critical. It can be very hard to find the drivers for some of the OEM installed devices.

2. Before making a floppy or CD copy of the driver backup set, it is easier on you if you condense the multiple folders it creates into a singly folder structure. Just drag and drop in explorer, then make a floppy or CD copy of the final folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back