Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing XP on new hard drive... HELP! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelJMills

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2014
GB
[smile]Hi all,
I am fairly new to this forum, used it loads in the past but have recently returned. My Wife had a HP touch screen all in one and the hard drive failed. So i thought i would take the opertunity to get a BIG hard drive 2TB and reinstall her software (needed to be big and she is an artist who does alot image manipulation).

When I came to install XP the system wouldnt recognise the new HD, After asking a couple of mates they said XP cant recognise HD's this big. So I'm a little stuck with how i am gonna reinstall. Any help would be greatly recieved.

Cross-posted to Hard Drives. Don't do that.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Isn't the greater issue XP? It is no longer supported. The failed hard drive may have been trying to tell you something. They have souls, you know.

A graphic artist typically uses more than one drive. For example, advanced Photoshop users will have at least 2 HDDs (not just 1 partitioned into 2), one HDD for system/programs and one HDD for scratch.

While I agree with you, spamjim, the OP said it was an HP AIO. It may not have two drive bays. Don't know offhand; but just a thought.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I have a few questions, what is the model number of the HP? Because all I can find is Windows Vista and higher, units that came with XP on it from HP. XP, will support 2.2 TB hdd, so that is not the issue, but what about the firmware, and the system board? Who knows, we can't look anything up, because you didn't give us enough information, also, you said windows doesn't see it, which version and sp level is the windows xp disk? And does the system even see the hard drive in the bios? Does it see the full size of the drive in the bios? And although Jim does make a point that XP isn't supported anymore, so what? neither is dos, and I have several customers still using it, and still using xp. Just be aware you will not get any help from M$ and nothing new is being made, or old stuff patched. Of more worry is if this system did come with XP natively, why would you even attempt to put a 2TB hdd in it? I mean the specs are so low, as to be crushed by a decent 500$ system today.

Right, my comment wasn't directed as much to the system at hand but to what one would ideally have for graphics work. An all in one would need an external scratch drive, which defeats the all in oneness. I'm no more a fan of trying to trick out this all in one with 2TB than I am of continuing to run XP in 2014.

Assuming Nigel has his own computer with a newer OS to support large drives, he could take the 2TB drive and give his old, XP-capable drive to his wife.

Thanks guys, I have been doing some further digging and apparently there are problems with XP and 2TB MBS. I think i will try a partition of 100GB for the MBS. i'll see if that does it. I will let you all know how i get on.

Finally 'goombawaho' the only reason I posted in two forums was because I was not sure which was the right one, this one or PC hardware:hard drive issues, I understand that it is difficult to include intonation in forum posts but your post seemed quite rude.

Nobody likes cross-posting.

So What are trying to say?? (note to self "no, stop now! no-one likes sarcasm")

Nothing bad, trying to help - Link

We'll I partitioned the sata 2TB 100GB partition called Boot. And left the rest as free space. both partitions have been formatted. I inserted Win XP pro. and started the setup process. I get to the what drive do you want to install windows on and it shows no drives. The only reason my wife wants XP is she says all of the arty software tools need it. I can see the drive in BIOS. I'm Stumped.

I don't believe you gave us brand/model information. The symptom you describe now that you have partitioned the drive seems to indicated that XP needs to have an F6 driver installed during the early part of installation. Either that or change the SATA setting in BIOS to IDE (what is the setting right now?).

Link

Look and see on the download page or give us the brand/model.

There are a ton of windows xp programs that function just fine in windows 7. That being said, I am not aware of any "artsy" programs that require xp, if they are still in business, they will have a windows 7 & 8 version or they will be out of business, simple as that. (i.e. Adobe, and corel both do) But I believe Goombawaho to be correct, the problem here, is if it didn't come with windows xp, and didn't have a downgrade path from HP, you may not be able to get the driver needed if changing the sata setting in bios doesn't work, hence the reason I asked for the model number, to see what was needed, and to see if we could find a work around, just because HP might not have made a driver for XP, doesn't mean the chipset maker, or system board manufacturer, for HP, that is very likely Asus, doesn't.

rclarke250 was onto my idea in his first post. If you had given us (him) the model, we would have checked on XP support. XP support is not a god-given right or foregone conclusion any more. At this point, though, it's for sure NOT a hard drive size issue.

Homer voice: Less artsy more fartsy!!!

Nigel,
Like some have suggested above, the problem is that the onboard SATA controller is too new for XP to recognize during it's CD installation. When setup first starts, you have to use the F6 option to manually load the SATA driver. Sounds easy enough, but it is tricky in newer systems. XP came out when floppy drives were still common. So unless you have a USB floppy drive handy, you're going to need to use a tool like nLite to customize the Windows XP CD and manually adding the SATA driver. There are a lot of guides on the internet that show you how, but before you try any of that, we need to know the make/model of the all-in-one so we can point you to the correct driver.

Now as some have suggested, you can change the compatibility mode of hard disk controller in the BIOS, by disabling AHCI and enabling ATA (or IDE) instead. This is the quickest and easiest solution that will allow XP to see the drive and install, but it has a minor drawback. Advanced features that SATA brings to the table, such as NCQ and SMART, will not be active after Windows is installed. This means that the hard drive will not be running at its optimal potential, and the health of the drive may not be properly monitored by the BIOS. This doesn't mean it will be noticeably slow or in danger of failing, but it's worth pointing out to show why the first option I mentioned above is preferred.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

^^^^^ Right, forget about programs and focus on the O.S. first. One has to come before the other.

After all the analysis above though, "forget XP" is probably floating to the top of our minds.

Or virtualized under something else?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hi All,

just to say the problem is fix due to you lo. it was the BIOS IDE problem. So Many thanks to all of you. As a married man where my wife is my customer (free support contract) if the customer want XP, she gets XP. Makes the why XP discussion null and void. :)

Thanks again all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back