Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing XP on an Acer Laptop Travelmate 342TM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lugubrizione

Technical User
Jul 12, 2002
NO
I'm having difficulties installing w2k and xp on my Acer Travelmate 342 TM. Approximately halfway into the file copying/installation, it hangs and doesn't respond to anything but power off.

It had Win ME originally, but for apparent reasons, that isn't good enough for me... :) I made a dual boot with w2k, but the system freezed up when i tried to defrag or transfer files from harddrive.

Specs:
Acer Travelmate 342TM:
Intel Pentium III - 450 - 256MB SDRAM
New BIOS (at least the latest from Acer...)
Storage: I don't know, but probably an IBM 18GB or similar. I'll edit this info when I have dismantled the little bugger...

According to Acer website, the laptop should be able to cope with w2k and xp, especially with the new BIOS version (which I have installed).

What do I have to do to be able to run w2k or xp?
1. Try unoriginal BIOS to tweak down the CPU?
2. Install a new harddrive?

Is there a virus checker enables in the bios (disable it if there is). Other than that, a hardware problem (eg, RAM) - but more difficult to troubleshoot on laptop than desktop.

All hardware is original from Acer, and I suspect the hard drive gets too hot with NTFS.

Unfortunately, there's no CD or floppy, which means I have to keep system files on at least one partiton to be able to load boot files from ethernetcard or PCMCIA...

Can I hook up a CD-rom as slave using cable converters and external PSU?

Everyone was a n00b when they started hacking...
There's no such thing as a stupid question - Only stupid answers! But read FAQ's first, eh? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back