Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing XP on a Dell 2650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbandon

Technical User
Nov 14, 2008
US
I have been attempting to install Windows Xp on a Dell 2650 server. When the 2k drivers are loading off the floppy the screen flashes for less than a second and the screen goes to the main startup installation page and when you try to start the process over again it. The 2k drivers are the only ones that Dell has for my server and its number. Id prefer to have a windows OS on my server should i try using Windows Server 2003 instead of Xp?

You can tinker around with other version drivers and probably get XP installed 95%, but Server 2003 isn't much different and is pretty user friendly.

Thanks after much deliberation i ended up putting Win 2k0 on it. Everything is installed but there are 3 pci objects without drivers. Also one of the two scsi drive does not show up on the device manager any thoughts on what the pci device might be?

Did you install the OS with Open Manage, which is free? It will load ALL drivers for you. That's what I would do, but there is no option for workstation OS's.

Burt

The open Managemanagmet station software? So id open it up and install it on one disk using a drive in win2000 then wipe it in the bios making xp my main right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back