Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing XP on a BIG new hard drive. Big problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelJMills

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2014
GB
Hi all,
I am fairly new to this forum, used it loads in the past but have recently returned. My Wife had a HP touch screen all in one and the hard drive failed. So i thought i would take the opertunity to get a BIG hard drive 2TB and reinstall her software (needed to be big and she is an artist who does alot image manipulation).

When I came to install XP the system wouldnt recognise the new HD, After asking a couple of mates they said XP cant recognise HD's this big. So I'm a little stuck with how i am gonna reinstall. Any help would be greatly recieved.

Exactly how big is the hard drive? Windows XP should support drives up to 2TB. If it was larger and you needed one partition on the drive it needs to be GPT. Your drive manufacturer may have software to help you out.

Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

It should recognize it. Worst case you can only format up to 1TB and have to do two 1TB partitions (depending on how old the controller is), but if you're not seeing it you might want to stick another (smaller) drive on the controller to see if it is seen. If not, you have a bad controller and the old drive might have been OK.

The other option is that Windows XP install isn't recognizing your controller and you'll need to download the driver from HP and press F3 (I think it is) during the install to load third-party drivers. Bad thing about that is that XP only supports loading that driver from a floppy, so if you don't have one...

Third option is to use a third-party tool that will allow you to slipstream all the drivers for your PC onto a disc, including the driver for the controller during installation. I've used one, don't recall the name. Worked perfectly and my device manager came up fully loaded with all the devices.

-Jeepix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back