Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSTALLING WITH XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pike168

Programmer
May 28, 2003
GB
hi. i have a 1.60ghz, 512MB , 55gb hardrive PC currentley running windows XP i would like to know how to install SuSe8.2 on my PC. i am currentley only using 10gb of my hard drive and i would like to know how to install them both on the same pc without having to resort to buying more software as i am on a very tight budget.i have read that suse8.2 has a option during installation where it automatically patritions your hard drive for your specification, is this true or will i have to go out and buy extra software.I desperatley need help before i go out and buy it.
THANK YOU.

The first question is: How is your 55 GB drive currently partioned? If it's all 1 big NTFS partition, then you will need a third party patitioning tool. If you're not sure, in XP go to Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc The graphic at the bottom will show how your drive is currently partitioned. FWIW, the only linux distro that I know of that can resize an NTFS partition is Mandrake 9.1, but you may want to research this further.

The fist thing you have to do is to reduce the size of your windows partition (for example from 50 GB to 30 GB)and use the new unused space (20GB) of your HDisk for Linux.
To do that partion you can proceed by choosing one of the following procedures:

1st Procedure:(Easy procedure)
By using the powerfull tool "Partition Magic". It is easy but you should read the help instuctions.

2nd procedure :

you have to defragment you disk using the fefragment tool provided under MS Windows (98, Me, 2000, XP). you can look for it in accessories /system tools.

After that you can boot your computer with an old Linux setup CD (For example Mandrake 6.0, Redhat 5.0) , you follow the setup procedures (language, keybord etc..) until you reach the pocedure which will ask you for the tool you want to use to mount the file systems. You will be asked to use "Diskdruid" or "Fdisk". Then select Fdisk. With Fdisk you will be able to reduce the size of your windows partion without loosing your information. Notice you should manipulate Fdisk carefully. You can reduce the windows partition to 30000 Mo (30 GB).
After that you should type the appropriate command to write or activate the modificaton to your HDisk, and reboot your PC with Suse Setup CD.

Note that it is not necessary to create the new partion for linux using FDISK because when you reboot with the Suse setup CD, the installation procedure will detect the free space on your HDisk and will ask you to create the Linux Partions (/ (root), Swap, Home etc...).

Best Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back