Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows XP and Redhat 7.2 on same machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisDunn

Technical User
Nov 20, 2000
US
To all of you gurus out there. I need a little help here. I was previously running Redhat 7.1 on my machine but for some reason it crashed (oh well I must have done something stupid). Anyway I want to install both XP and redhat on the same machine and am looking for any sites/books/suggestions that may help me in this endeavor. The primary reason I want to install XP is to run Microsoft Money as a budget manager unless you can suggest a comparable piece of software that will work on Linux. If it costs a little money that really isn't a problem. However I guess having both OS's on the same machine may be helpful as I can hone my skills in both areas. Please forgive me for being a novice. Any help and any book/site suggestions to expand my knowledge is also greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Chris

u can use other software to run a virtual machine layer on linux. One of such is VMWare

so basically you boot linux and then run vmware, and vmware basically let windows xp run on top of linux. Where you can then do ms money.

you can do dual boot, if you don't plan to take the vmware approach. you just setup partitions within the hard drive to host both os. But use the LILO to decide with to boot.

Thanks for the help. Any other sites which may give me more info on partitioning the harddrive (it has been quite a while since I fooled with LILO). Thanks, I will check out the site you suggested.

Please forgive me for being a novice. Any help and any book/site suggestions to expand my knowledge is also greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Chris

Just checked out the site. the only problem is the $299 price tag. Any other suggestions? I am also going to look into seeing if they have a program for University Students.

Please forgive me for being a novice. Any help and any book/site suggestions to expand my knowledge is also greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Chris

Why don't you put a cheap 2 to 6 gig hd in the unit, and load linux on it, but tell it not to touch the boot record on your primary when installing it, and just boot up the linux hd with the floppy redhat makes at the end of its install.
that way you dont have to worry about messing up either os, if the other dies.

oh yeah, dont make your xp ntfs unless you dont plan on writting to it from linux. and if your new, you most likly wont be able to setup ntfs support for even reading it.

stick with fat32.

booting linux off the floppy wont make it slower, it will just take a little longer to boot, but the floppy can be removed once your up.

hopes that helps.

I had XP and RedHat 7.2 both installed on my Laptop not too long ago. I've also fooled around with installing RedHat on my desktop machine with XP. If your going to run XP / Linux dual booting, it's probably best to use the Grub bootloader. XP doesn't like Lilo for some reason.

ok thanks everyone, last problem. I seem to have a file system problem so I just want to remove linux entirely from my primary drive. I am doing some homework tonight but if anyone sees this some time soon any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THanks

Chris Dunn Please forgive me for being a novice. Any help and any book/site suggestions to expand my knowledge is also greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Chris

can anybody list me step by step approach on how to install redhat linux7.2 with already installed windowsxp?

Please forgive me for being too a novice. Any help and any book/site suggestions to expand my knowledge is also greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

I have done it many times before quite easily using the 2000/XP boot loader. (Come to think of it I've only done it with two hard drives, but it should work only on different partitions also)

As CNewbie suggested booting from a floppy is way easy but if you want to do it the hard disk way this site helpled me out the first time:

Hope this is of assistance.

hads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back