Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows and Applications unattended

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunslngr

Technical User
Apr 14, 2004
US
I tried searching for this but had no luck. What i would like to do is create a script that installs windows, office, and miscillanious applications from a installation point on a server. I guess what i am asking is if anybody here has a sample script that installs windows? I want to see how exactly one works so i can create mine. Thanks for any and all help.

Will

you want to look at an unattended.txt file.
run the setup.exe and pass it the unattended.txt file and it will install windows without any user intervention.
as part of the unattended.txt file you can specify a

[GuiRunOnce]
"c:\startsoftware.vbs"

this will be the first script that is run after the unattended windows installation has finished.
we use this script to add a user to the local admins, set this user up for autoadmin logon.
then we have a logonscript for the user which reads an ini file which list all the products and hotfixes we want to install.

the reading of the ini file is slightly more complicated as it is read in different ways depending on the type of pc, the language choosen, and the products the user selected before they started the build.

there you have it

Thanks mrmovie, I knew how to use the unattended.txt file but was unsure of how to add other programs to it. Now I know.

Will

I know this really isn't the forum for unattened installs but I have found that most people are not using teh GuiRunOnce section of the unattended install anymore. The recommended way, and more professional looking way is by using the RunOnceEx.

By using the RunOnceEx when the user logs in the first time it will get a menu saying that is installing applications.

This is a simple description of what it does. But for a much better explanation check out:
-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back