Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 98SE over current installation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julianne

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
GB
I remember installing Windows 98SE over the top of itself, so that programs, files etc wouldn't be deleted. The thing is, now I have XP I can't remember how I did it and I have someone who needs to know!

Do they need to boot from a start-up disk or do they just need to click on setup.exe in the Windows installation disk? Is there anything in particular to do/not do during the installation? Thanks.

I don't need to re-install XP! I'm saying that now I have XP I can't remember how I went about installing Windows 98SE over the top of itself. My Mum is having some problems with her PC and she'd like to try re-installing but doesn't want to lose her files/applications.

Please can someone remind me how to go about installing Windows 98SE over the current installation - thanks.

Would normally say plug the CD in and have a go. But they will be better off to put the load stuff on the hard drive and install from there, from a DOS boot disk. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Iv'e done this many times and the easiest way so that you don't lose anything is to insert your cd but DON'T let it start the installation. Click cancel and then thru explorer go to that cd drive and open up the windows cd program. Go to the dir for Win98. In that dir click on setup and it will re-install over the top of your exsisting windows without changing or losing your old settings etc. Just make sure you have it install to the original windows OS folder. That should do the trick....cheers

If you have the CAB files on the system, you don't even need the CD. They're usually located in c:\windows\options\cabs. If they're there, just go to that folder from windows explorer and double click on setup.exe. The process will start automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back