Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing -Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

qleader

Technical User
Dec 20, 2001
US
Hi all,

I am trying trying install a clean copy of Windows 2000. I was using a friends copy to get it back and running again. But at about 50%-70% of copying files it can not copy files.
Setup cannot copy the file : filename
To retry, press ENTER (bla,bla)
Sometimes (rarely) it will copy and cont. most of the time it will not.
I thought he had a bad CD, so I went and purchased a new copy of W2000 Pro. Same thing. (There went $300.00) I have changed CD-roms out, I have changed hard drives, I have exchanged cables. I have tried with a FAT32 and NTFS, also partioned to a smaller amount. My system is bare bones at the moment. Video card (Geo force), 40 gig hard drive, 40x Cd-rom. Any help would be great.

I've been installing win2k lately... and I think I've found this to help most often... but I'm not sure if it was my cd drive that was the problem or what...

But I copy at the least the I386 directory to another partition, then start it with a win98 startup disk... type: >winnt.exe at the i386 directory... you can use some switches also...

I was having(and still am having) the same problem... My machine would start copying files and then freeze up(at different points in the installation... chkdsk, copying files, saving setup, registering setup, etc)... I have another thread which I'm trying to troubleshoot that part of it... but I'm hoping it's a power supply problem, because I just ordered a new one to replace the old ps..

Hope that helps,

steve

Check your Motherboard compatibility win Win2k and the Bios level compatibility too.

It almost sounds like Win2k is have problems building its HAL layer. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Check your Motherboard compatibility with Win2k and the Bios level compatibility too.

It almost sounds like Win2k is have problems building its HAL layer. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back