Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 2000 server on Compaq Evo 510 Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbl

MIS
Sep 6, 2001
CA
I have a Compaq Evo D510 SFF desktop running windows 2000 professional, installed from the original compaq cd. This computer also has the compaq utilities such as Compaq Information Centre and Compaq Management Agents. I would like to install windows 2000 server on this computer. Has anyone else installed server on the d510 before? Are there bios issues I need to concern myself with, and can I install the above Compaq utilities after installing windows 2000 server? The windows 2000 server cd is not provided by Compaq.
Thanks for any help.

Since your running 2000 already, server version shouldn't be a problem. You need at least 1 gig free of harddrive space. Does the Compaq CD have a menu that lets you install the different applications or does it only do a destructive install? If it won't let you choose the applications then you can either just upgrade to server without formatting or FDisk your harddrive and repartition your drive and do a dual boot installation.

Well, I just finished installing 2K server (from CD) on a brandnew EVO 510 (D51S/P1.8/20/x/256c) and aside from driver d/l issues (sloooow downloads from HP) everything worked fine. No BIOS update needed (running 686O2 v2.14).

Here is a list of Compaq SPs:
SP21356 - IDE patch
SP23296 - ADI SoundMax
SP21135 - USB 2.0
SP22924 - Intel Graphics

Other drivers:
Intel Pro100 NIC - from Intel

Tom Pietschmann
DST Systems, Inc.
Kansas City, MO

The install should be alright... but you may not get the Compaq software.. cause the software may be on the Install CD (or Recovery CD) that came with the system...

Usually this CD holds all the initial software...

If it does this, then you can check HP/Compaq website for those utilities to download seperately...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back