Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 2000 Server - Linux dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

raypru

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
I have Windows 2000 Server already installed and want to dual boot to Red Hat Linux 9 and need some advice as to the best way to do this.

I have 2 disks installed in my current setup:

40gb IDE Disk with Windows 2000 Server installed on NTFS
200gb Serial ATA Maxtor currently empty on NTFS

Going forward I want the 200gb disk to be accessible by the Windows 2000 operating system and to store a back up of another PC I have.

I will not need the 40gb disk to be accessible by Linux.

Partition and install Linux on the 200GB disk.
Also create a partition for use within Linux and Windows for your backup.
This will have to be of type vfat.
After installing Linux, go back into Windows and assign the vfat parition a Drive letter.

If you don't need Linux to access the backup file system, you could change it to NTFS. Linux will be able to read it.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

I boot from CD but when installer displays disks only the IDE is shown not the SATA. Do you know how to get Linux installer to see the disk?

a) if you have a console by then, try modprobe sata_* and hope
b) use another installer/distro

Also, NTFS writing (instead vfat) should work more reliable with the new code in 2.6, but please do own research.

. Mac for productivity
.. Linux for developement
... Windows for solitaire

The Redhat forum has quite a few post with this issue...
Using the latest kernel (2.6.10) seems to the solution.
Some have had some success by downloading SATA drivers and putting them on CD or stiffy to be using during the installation.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

Thanks for your replies to earlier question. I managed to get hold of Suse 9.2, which has a 2.6 kernel. The installation completed successfully but when I boot to Linux the screen displays...Initiating hardware then Starting System then Starting Devices then Starting Services but then a White blank screen is displayed with black edging at the top and nothing happens.

I am able to boot successfully into Windows 2000 Server and Linux Failsafe.

I have 2 disks and my set up is the following:

Windows 2000 Server O/S IDE Disk C:\ 38GB NTFS
Spare Partition SATA Disk E:\ 93GB NTFS
Linux SATA Disk F:\ 32GB NTFS
1020MB NTFS
63GB NTFS

In Windows Computer Management Utility the last 2 partitions are shown at the top before C:, E: and F drives.

The filesystems and mount points in Linux are:

/dev/sda7 /
tmpfs /dev/shm
/dev/hda1 /windows/C
/dev/sda1 /windows/D
/dev/sda5 /windows/E

I have had a look at some log files and extracted the following:

File /boot/grub/device.map

hd0 /dev/hda
hd1 /dev/sda
fd0 /dev/fd0

File /boot/grub/menu.lst
[Linux Settings]

kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 vga=0x31a selinux=0 splash=silent resume=/dev/sda6 desktop elevator=as showopts initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd

[Failsafe Linux Settings]

kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume selinux=0 barrier=off nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3 initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd

File /var/log/messages ....last 2 lines from this file before problem

Linux Kernel: bootsplash:status on console 0 changed to on
Linux kdm : : 0[5400]: pam_unix2: sessio started for user lxuser, service xdm-np

Is this something to do with my monitor...a flat screen Packard Bell?????

As I suspected there was a problem with the monitor settings. I copied /etc/X11/XF86Config.install over /etc/X11/XF86Config then rebooted and my Linux desktop has loaded successfully.

Well done..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back