Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing windows 2000 Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash54

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
FJ
Hi. I have setup a PRivate LAN at work using the IP 192.168.1.x . The windows 2000 server has a IP of 192.168.1.1 - installed AD, DNS and now i'd like to be able to remotely access the server and the client connected to the private LAN.

My office IP credentials are 10.1.144.xxx and 10.1.145.xxx . I am able to add a route as follows to my work desktop and ping the 192.168.1.1 (which is my server).

route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.1.144.240

Upon adding this route to my work desktop, I SOMETIMES am able to ping my server residing on private LAN.

I installed Windows 2000 Router (RRAS) on the Private LAN (192.168.1.1) as well and set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 on both the client and the server. The problem is after adding the route (as shown above) to my work desktop, I SOMETIMES am able to ping the server and the client. Why are the connections so unstable???? Where am I going wrong? SOmetimes I am able to ping the server but cannot ping the client or vice versa!! What the hell is going on over here? Can anyone suggest PLEASE? Do I really got to have 2 NIC's? If so, then what would be the IP of the second NIC and hwo would I configure RRAS or the routing tables?

Sam

Need more information. You say "do i really need 2 NICS". Are you connecting the two networks through NICS or Modems?

We are trying to connect to two networks using 2 nics.The first nic is for the private network(192.168.1.1) and the second nic as a public nic (10.1.144.133) to connect to our work network.

We have NAT configured on w2k router and are able to ping our work network (10.1.144.xxx and (10.1.145.xxx) from the private network.However this is specifically for internet connections as we know and its not what we want to achive.

We would like to reach the client machine connected to the private network domain from our work domain What is the best solution?Would a windows 2k router be of any help, if so then how do i configure it, is it necessary to add RIP or static routes?
We are looking for the cheapest solution hence purchasing hardware routers is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back